Saturday 31 January 2015

Snow Angel


Many years ago I was driving my infant daughter over a two-lane highway through southwest Wyoming when a blizzard came up suddenly, as they tend to do in that part of the country. The snow was swirling everywhere and any oncoming vehicle dusted my little VW so thoroughly that it would take a long few seconds before I could see anything ahead of me.
I found shelter tucked in behind a "big rig." By riding 20 feet behind him I had a larger vehicle to take the brunt of the oncoming shower as well as very visible lights to focus on and keep me on track. After about 2 hours of this, I had to pull off the road to feed & change my daughter. While we were sitting in the pullout a large truck approached from the opposite direction and pulled in next to us.
It was the driver I had been following. He noticed us missing in his mirror and came back to make sure we were okay. He said to drive back in behind him and he guided us another 120 miles to the next truck stop, where we shared a meal and conversation before heading off in different directions on the interstate.
I have never forgotten his kindness. To turn that huge vehicle around in bad weather to check on a stranger's well-being made him truly the definition of gentleman!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The things children say